Today I’ve got the cutest craft make for you. Yes, it’s a pompom pear. No, you don’t need a pompom pear in your life, but yes, you should have one. Pompom making is the most therapeutic, and easy, craft ever, and if you’re new to pompom making this is an exceptionally cute one to start with.
It’s taken from my favourite craft book of the moment; Pompomania by Christine Leech and I have three copies of this fab book to GIVEAWAY to my lovely readers. Click here to enter. Scroll down for step-by-step instructions on how to make the pear.
Instructions to make A NICE PEAR
YOU WILL NEED
DK-weight acrylic yarn in the following colours: pomegranate, shrimp, meadow, lime, walnut
7cm (2 ¾ in) and 9cm
(3 ½ in) diameter pompom makers
- For lower part, using a 9cm (3 ½ in) maker, wind 100 wraps of pomegranate in a wedge, leaving one quarter of maker empty at both RHE and LHE.
- Wind 20 wraps of pomegranate and shrimp together over previous layer, covering wedge.
- Wind 30 wraps of shrimp and meadow together over previous layer.
- Wind 15 wraps of shrimp, meadow and lime together over previous layer.
- Wind 20 wraps of meadow and lime to fill gaps at each edge, then 50 of meadow and lime to fill maker.
- To finish, fill other half of maker with meadow and lime. Complete pompom and remove it from maker.
- For top, using a 7cm (2 ¾ in) maker, wind 40 wraps of shrimp, meadow and lime across three quarters.
- Fill maker with 120 wraps of meadow and lime. To finish, fill other half of maker with meadow and lime.
- Complete pompom using three strands of walnut to tie it together. Remove it from maker.
- Trim flat base of smaller and top and base of larger pompom. Fix together, matching speckled areas.
- Trim the pompoms into a neat pear shape. Keep trimming until you are happy with the shape.
- For the stalk, plait the three walnut strands together for 3–4cm (1 ¼ – 1 ½ in). Knot and trim.
Images and instructions taken from Pompomania by Christine Leech, photography by Joanna Henderson, published by Quadrille, £10.
For your chance to WIN a free copy of Pompomania click here.