Regular readers of this blog may be aware that I posted a makeover feature about this bathroom in my own house last year. Well, it’s had another makeover since then! Largely because of a water leak that meant I had to have the existing shower unit ripped out and all the tiling behind it removed. All very annoying, but also an excellent opportunity to rethink the space and install a bath / shower instead.
I have always been keen to have a bath in the house – a shower is practical, but just not the same! So at the start of the year I started planning this makeover and several months later (these things always take longer than you imagine!) I now have a shiny new bathroom with a full size bath tub and an over-bath shower.
I decided to keep the existing sink unit as I had only recently painted it and replaced the handles with gold ones, so it was still in pretty good shape (you can read about the chalk paint makeover here). Also, it wasn’t affected by the water leak, so I kept that and used that as the starting point to plan the new bath / shower around.
Fortunately there had, many years before, been a bath along the back wall, so there was just enough room to put one back in. I chose a supercast acrylic bath as I wanted a sturdy one as it would also have to function as a shower as well as a bath and I didn’t want a flimsy, lightweight one. I picked out a tongue and groove panel for the outside and had the walls around it tiled with classic white metro tiles.
I initially had white blinds up at the windows, but when I removed them to paint / tile around, I realised the room was much brighter and fresher without them, so I replaced them with window film instead.
This stuff was a revelation! Brume very kindly sent me the film to try (I chose plain silver etch for three windows, and tiny stars for the main window above the sink). It’s super easy to apply and although it looks white, it actually has little silver particles in it, so it somehow reflects and magnifies every last scrap of light, making the space feel bright and breezy even on a grey day.
I wanted a classic, Victorian style shower for above the bath, so I chose the Avon shower from Triton, (which I actually later found out is part of their Edwardian range. I clearly got my era’s mixed up!). The mixer tap panel and shower rose are separate and they have the really classic, timeless look that I wanted.
It’s a lovely shower, and really beautiful quality – the on / off lever is ceramic, so it’s really tactile to use and I love the simplicity of it. My installer fitted the shower rose really high which I was initially unsure about. But as the bungalow has fairly low ceilings, that’s where it has to go, to allow anyone remotely tall to fit underneath it. So I’m getting used to it!
I managed to also find a set of bath mixer taps in an almost identical style from B&Q so they tie in nicely together.
I didn’t want a shower curtain as the space is quite small and I didn’t want any unnecessary clutter or fuss, so I had a minimal glass shower screen installed instead. Because it’s frameless, with a tiny silver handle, it really does disappear into thin air.
When I had the bath installed I had to remove the towel rail from that wall in order to tile around it, so to replace it I found these great hooks to go above the radiator. I wanted something really classic to tie in with the Victorian-style shower unit, so I tracked these vintage-style hooks down at Graham and Green. By putting it directly above the radiator it ensures the towels stay toasty warm.
I originally had sheet vinyl on the floor, which had seen better days, so I knew I would have to replace it but I wanted something a bit more contemporary. Harvey Maria very kindly offered to send me some vinyl tiles to review, so I chose this warm oak colour, measured the area of floor I needed to cover then sent the measurements off to them.
Two (slim but amazingly heavy) boxes duly arrived and I tried to find a local fitter to install them for me. When I couldn’t track one down I decided to tackle it myself over one weekend. Now, I’m not a stranger to DIY, but planning this out initially worried me, as it involved maths (not my strong subject!). I had to measure out exactly how many strips I would need, then figure out a pattern that looked ‘random’ with no unintentional pattern repeats and ensure I didn’t waste any product when I cut it.
That said, it was oddly enjoyable and pretty easy. The tiles are really fun to slice up – you can do it with a sharp knife or a pair of scissors – then you just glue them into place. The whole project took a day as I had to cut around the door frame, bath, sink unit and toilet, but as my first attempt at laying a floor I’m pretty happy with it. The photo above shows you the finished result.
Are you ready for the ‘before’ photo? Technically there are two.
Here is the original bathroom:
This is after I painted the units:
And this is how it is now:
If you want to know where I bought everything from, I’ve popped a supplier list below. If you have any questions, just drop me a note in the comments section below.
Where I bought everything!
Avon Dual control mixer shower: Triton*
Supercast acrylic bath: B&Q
Rectangular bath screen (discontinued): Ideal Standard
County oak wood effect flooring: Harvey Maria*
The Captain Hooks wall hooks: Graham and Green
Tiny stars and silver etch window film: Brume*
*My thanks to Brume, Triton and Harvey Maria for sending me their lovely products to review. All other products and all the installation costs were paid for by me and this is not a sponsored post.